Saturday, June 9, 2007

Co-op as Community

This morning as my kids and I walked through the farmer's market, we chatted with several different friends who we ran into while we each gathered local produce and plants. I was reminded of how much our farmer's market has become a part of the local community structure during the months that it is open.

A few months ago, I read the following description of author Cecile Andrews' local grocery store that she wrote about in The Circle of Simplicity. It's the role that I hope the Grassroots Community Co-op will fill some day in our community on a daily basis.

"For many years we've lived in a neighborhood that has a little grocery store. It's a part of a larger co-op system, so it has lots of organic foods and bulk items. You know all the checkers by name and sometimes they even help coordinate your shopping. It was not unusual for my husband to stop by the store right after I had been there. The checker would tell him, "Oh, Cecile already got that." Or if I was in the store when Paul came in, they would get on the loudspeaker and announce, "Cecile, Paul's here in the store."

And you can walk to a neighborhood store. When you walk, you not only get exercise, save on pollution and car expenses, you also get to visit with neighbors along the way. Having a neighborhood store certainly improves my social life. I don't think I've ever made a trip to that little store without running into a friend. I can have a great social life on Saturday night just hanging out by the produce."

No comments: